The old market town of Sedbergh (pronounced Sed-Ber) is situated at a confluence of four valleys where ancient trade routes merged, the valleys of the rivers Rawthey, Clough, Dee and Lune .
Sedbergh’s main industries through the centuries have been based around farming and the production of products from wool,
with weaving and hand knitting among the main employment of Sedbergh people.
2005 saw the first fruits of the four-year project to make Sedbergh England’s Book Town. A book town is a loose collective of businesses
based around books and their production. In addition to bookshops Sedbergh has established the Festival of Books and Drama which takes place in August.
Sedbergh is in the western dales of the Yorkshire Dales National Park and about 10 miles from Kendal.
The town has a variety of narrow lanes and small clusters of old buildings. There is a 12th-century Norman church (restored in 1886) and
overlooking the town is the site of Castlehaw, an ancient motte and bailey castle.
Walkers can enjoy the Howgill Fells. The closest hill, Winder, is reached by a walk of about 1½ miles and provides panoramic views over
the surrounding countryside from its 1550 ft (473 m) summit. There is also a variety of paths along the banks of the meandering River Rawthey and
adjacent fields and woodland.