The group’s initial inspiration came from the Walkers Are Welcome towns project and in August 2015 Sedbergh became a member of that scheme. At an early stage we also decided to include cycling in our plans, not least because some of us have been influenced by the ideas and principles of Sustrans.
Our aim as a group is to encourage more people to walk and cycle in this area, be they locals or visitors. By promoting walking and cycling we hope to:
- Encourage a more healthy lifestyle generally,
- Bring prosperity to our town, and
- Do all this within a broadly green agenda.
Our activities so far have included:
- The promotion of the Sedbergh area as a destination for walkers and cyclists, principally on our website,
- A series of very popular talks, mostly by local people, about walking and cycling,
- The development and promotion of existing and new walking routes, in consultation with the Yorkshire Dales National Parks Authority and local landowners, and
- The promotion of the walking and cycling activities of other groups and organisations in the area.
For further information please: